Try our Panlasang Pinoy Special Puto
Special Puto Recipe is a steamed rice muffin which is popular as snack or dessert in the Philippines. Special Puto is the common pair for Dinuguan. In its traditional form, puto is of a plain white color.
image credits: PinoyRecipe.net Special Puto Recipe
Panlasang Pinoy Special Puto Ingredients:
- Mixing bowl
- Muffin pan
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Wooden spoon or wire whisk
- 2 cups rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon anise seeds (optional)
- 1 cup grated coconut (or coconut flakes)
How to cook Special Puto:
- Sift the rice flour, salt, baking powder and white sugar together.
- In a bowl, add the coconut milk to the sifted ingredients and blend until the mixture is smooth.
- Add anise seeds or whatever flavoring you wish (i.e. vanilla, pandan, etc.) Mix and blend thoroughly.
- Carefully pour the mixture into the muffin pans (greased with butter beforehand), making sure you leave 1/3 space at the top. This is to give the puto space to expand upon cooking.
- Steam for about 30 minutes.
- To know if its already cooked insert a toothpick into the center of each puto—the toothpick must come out clean.
- Serve Topped with grated coconuts.